Greenlandic Mining IV 1/2

Hard coal on Disko Island was already from the 1780s subject for quarrying at the earlier settlement Skansen, where the tradition was for the locals to supply themselves for the heating and cooking stove.

From 1782, the Greenlandic administration systematized the exploitation under the name Ritenbenks Kulbrud in the area of Gl. Qullissat.

In 1924 the state’s coal mine was moved to a location near the current Qullissat on Disko Island.

Similar products